Friday, September 26, 2008

End of Summer, Let the Fun Begin! (Sept. 26)

Autumn Greetings to You All!

I've been so busy since my pediatrician gave me the thumbs-up to be in public that I've lost track of time and forgot about writing to you!


For Labor Day, my Uncle Perlock and Auntie Sherry came up from San Francisco to celebrate! I shocked Uncle Perlock when he changed my diaper: He was not aware that babies of my age do not have solid poo! He was so stunned that he could only hold the diaper up and look mystified, so my Mommy actually did the cleaning! Both my uncle and auntie cuddled me and gave me gifts, so they won me over!

We went on many adventures that weekend. We went to my 2nd photo shoot on Saturday night, then to the Evergreen State Fair on Sunday, and then to breakfast at Maltby Cafe on Monday with Daddy's Walla Walla friends Curtis and Janet. I experienced my 1st thunder and lightening storm at the fair and I screamed at those bleating goats! They disrupted my cozy nap I was taking in my Moby Wrap (thanks Abbie NICU RN for recommending it!).

I went to the Mukilteo library to pick out cd's and the clerk informed us that there is a baby story time there once a week. The next week, on the 16th, my Auntie Marie, my Mommy and I went to story time. What a blast! I was so ecstatic about all the kids and commotion, it was great fun! We went again this week and I met Maysa, a friend I've been waiting to meet since she was born 2 months ago! My Nana and Aunt Nettie also joined me since I couldn't stop talking about the joy I experienced there. It was kind of sad on the way to the library though, I screamed the whole way there and back in the car! I can't recall why I did that now, but I know there was a good reason! Yesterday, I went to the Mill Creek library for story time with my friends Brennan and Monti then went over to their house to play. I met their giant Great Dane Lucas who looked so friendly, but Mommy wouldn't let me ride on him.

My Auntie Marie arranged for my first field trip: a private tour of Stockpot/Campbell's Soup that's next to my house. Yummy! It was so amazing! Mommy compares the observation deck to the Tillamook Cheese Factory's in Oregon--there were lots of workers in smocks, boots and hair nets working in the production line with cool machines! Sorry to those of you who want your own tour, but you must have connections to get in. You can look at the pictures I took, although that won't taste the same!

On the 15th, I went down to the University of Washington to meet my Mommy's friend and previous manager, Constance. She was so delightful! She knew exactly how to put me at ease and make me sleepy! I had such a great visit that I showed off a little in the Speech and Hearing Clinic (where my Mommy spent a lot of time doing various practica in grad school) by giving a loud, loquacious speech to my Mommy with a nice size audience. Unfortunately, the video camera was late arriving onto the scene, so you'll just have to take my word for it.

I finally made it to the Pavilion on Sept. 21! We never made it in August like planned. Daddy returned my car bed alone, so I apologize for those of you who waited all day for my grand entrance. We visited with my Mommy's nurse Cathy. She put me on the scale and I weighed 9 lbs! I weighed exactly 8 lbs on the 4th when my visiting nurse came for a visit. I am so pleased with how I can pack on a pound in just over 2 weeks time! I still have not made it to the NICU. We had a very tight schedule that day, and I was pretty exhausted after a fabulous party and being cuddled by all sorts of medical professionals that attended it! I will expound in a later blog about that event, but I will tell you that my nurse Heather was there and she was my very 1st babysitter!

My Mommy started back to work this month, thankfully only a couple days per month. I don't really like it when she's gone. The first day, I gave my Daddy a lot of grief but he didn't bring my Mommy back. When she did come home I felt so warm and cozy inside that I went right to sleep! I'll try to remember that she will come back home when she works again this Sunday, but I don't know if I will. That takes a lot of focus and hard work.

Speaking of sleep, I have slept for 7.5 hours during the night on several occasions. However, since my pediatrician may not approve, my parents usually wake me up after 5 hours if I don't feel like waking up on my own to eat.

Alright, it's time for me to relax. Thank you nurses Natalie and Cathy for responding to my entries! I'm happy to know that you are thinking sweet thoughts about me! Yes, Natalie! I will tell my Mommy that I must come and visit you now that I know which nights you work! Of course you can come visit me, too (just ask Janay or Heather for my contact info). And of course, thank you to all of you who have come over and visited me at home--it is such a treat to have you visit!

Sweet dreams to all!

Danica

1 comment:

Heatherona said...

Danica thank you sooo much for the pictures! They are proudly displayed on my fridge. I was so happy to get to see you last month, I loved how much you talked to me. I'll hope I get to babysit for you sometime soon and we can catch up again! ~Heather